From this Science News article Use Weights, Not Aerobics, To Ease Back Pain, Study Suggests:
New Orleans personal trainers
Many years ago when I first started strength training I followed the conventional wisdom that stated that you had to give yourself a day off between strength training sessions to let your body recover and become stronger. I was a man in a hurry, so I strength trained Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday - repeat - and I never missed for five straight months.
For many, gyms end up being collection agencies disguised as gyms. They depend on people not sticking with their resolutions.
· What good is an exercise program where you go three times a week and you go for two weeks or two months and never go again? This is the scenario that is replayed yearly by millions. Many are repeat offenders. The only thing that ends up lighter is their wallet. People waste thousands on programs they don’t stick to.
· Eleven percent of Americans are members of health clubs. There are more former members of health clubs that there are presently members.
· 30 percent of health club members do not renew their memberships.
· Of that 30 percent a small minority of them use the facility consistently over the course of a year
· You join and then they entice you with large packages of personal training sessions.
A recent study of older adults trying to lose weight compared those who dieted, those who just exercised, and those who dieted plus exercised. From this Science News article Older People Who Diet Without Exercising Lose Valuable Muscle Mass some findings:
· Exercise group drew more on fat stores as the source of their body’s fuel.
· Diet-only group’s weight loss resulted from a loss of both muscle and fat.
Thirty men with low-risk prostate cancer who opted not have to have conventional medical treatment agreed to be subjects of a study. They ate a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes and soy products, engaged in moderate exercise such as walking for half an hour a day, and practiced stress management methods such as meditation for a hour a day.
From this MSN article, 10 Foods That Build Bones, comes this list:
There are plenty of good reasons to perform all types of exercise - stronger heart, bones, muscle, and better performance just to name a few – but exercising as way to lose weight might not be all it is cracked up to be. The New York Times article, The Scientist and the Stairmaster, makes the claim that exercise is not very effective in losing fat.